Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Second explotion at Fukushima. Tokai nuclear plant, near Tokio, also has problems with cooling system.

Officials in protective gear check Sunday for signs of radiation on children who are from the evacuation area near the Fukushima Daini nuclear plant. Photo credit to Kim Kyung-Hoon/Reuters

TOKYO – A confirmed second explotion occurred on Monday at the Fukushima plant in the northeast of Japan. It was a hydrogen explotion in the third reactor, but the experts said that the blast did not compromise the core o0f the reactor. On the other hand, the cooling system pump for the second reactor at Tokai nuclear power plant stopped working on Friday, after the earthquake of 8.9 Richter quake that rocked Japan, Japanese news agency Kyodo reported.
Faced with fears of a new radioactive leak, the Japanese government insisted that reactor coolant is operating normally.
The reactor, located in the Ibaraki Prefecture about 120 km north of Tokyo, is the nearest nuclear complex to the Japanese capital. The plant was shut down automatically after the recent earthquake.
Hours earlier, Japanese officials told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that radiation levels above those permitted were detected in the vicinity of Onagawa plant in Miyagi Prefecture.
According to the Japanese nuclear safety agency, there are no problems with the cooling system of the reactor in Onagawa, operated by Tohoku Electric Power Company (TEPCO). The radiation would be from the neighboring region of Fukushima, whose plants are releasing radioactive steam in a controlled way to relieve the pressure of the reactors 1 and 3, the Fukushima Daiichi part of the complex.
A minimal state of emergency at the plant in Onagawa was decreed.
The alert was declared after high levels of radiation were detected by sensors surrounding the nuclear plant. Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation, the IAEA said in a statement.
Onagawa plant burst into flames on Friday, March 11, when the 8.9 Richter earthquake struck Japan. Since then on-site activities have been suspended, as they have at the Fukushima Daiichi and Tokai plants.
One day later, an explosion caused apprehension in Fukushima. Japanese chief cabinet secretary Yukio Edan responded quickly, assuring the public that the explosion was not in the reactor container. He said the radioactive leak at the site has not increased since then.
On Sunday, news agency Jiji reported that the power company responsible for power plant in Fukushima begin to inject seawater into the No. 2 reactor. The goal is to cool the equipment in that unit, which was the most damaged in the quake.