Globally, 1 out of 6 persons is armed with a small weapon.
70% of light weapons in the world are in civilian hands, according to a report by the organization “Small Arms Survey,” which warns of the difficulty of having a reliable control over the sale and use of such weapons.
The report says:
1) in the world there are 926 million light weapons,
2) of which 625 million in civilian hands, 250 million in the hands of the military and 26 million in the hands of the various security forces State.
3) Of the 650 million firearms held by civilians, “Small Arms Survey” estimated that between 2 and 10 million are owned by organized criminal gangs, between 1.1 and 1.8 million non-state armed groups, like guerrillas and between 1.7 and 3.7 million private security companies.
4) U.S. tops the list with 270 million small arms distributed among the civilian population, which, by an equitable distribution would imply that 90% of citizens are armed. China in second place in the world with 46 million og arms in the hands of civilians.
5) Percentage-wise and related to the ratio arms vs population, the list of countries with a higher number of small arms among civilians is distributed with Yemen, with 11.5 million (55% of the population), Switzerland, with 3.4 million (46%), Finland, 2.4 million (45%) and Cyprus, 275,000 (36% of the population).
At the other extreme, lie Ghana, with 80,000 weapons (0.4% of the population), Haiti, with 190,000 guns (1%) and South Korea, with 510,000 guns (1%).